Monday, June 14, 2010

My 5th week in the NICU

SEC or PAC-10?


By Trey Rapp



I had another busy week in the NICU. I had lots of visitors, and many

different medications and treatments. My feedings have been on again,

off again. There are so many changes each day, it is hard to keep up

with them all!



All of the tubes connected to my body are really starting to get to

me. I can’t wait to get them off! The doctors were trying to keep my

chest tube in for a few more days, but I thought it was time for it to

go. While they weren’t looking, I kicked it out. Gratefully, they

didn’t feel the need to put another chest tube in, which means I can

do my favorite thing; lay on my tummy! Horray! I’m feeling better

already. Last night I was having batting practice, and my arm IV fell

out. The nurse decided to replace it in my foot instead of my arm,

claiming that would keep me from hitting it against the ventilator. I

am an active boy. Don’t they know that I just can’t wait to get out

and play?



The nurses had me eating this week, but my insides got upset, so they

had to stop the feedings. This IV feeding just doesn’t fill me up; I’m

looking forward to a real meal so I can start to grow more! Hopefully

in a day or two they will feel that I’m ok to eat again.



I’m on some antibiotics for two or three infections that I have right

now. This made me have my second spinal tap, which checks for

Meningitis. So far no Meningitis, which is very good. Mommy and Daddy

wanted to hold me now that the chest tube is out, but with the

infections, the doctors said I am still too weak. I really want to be

held, so hope that comes soon. We all have been very patient, but

after 5 weeks, it is time! We pray that day comes soon…



I’m really interested in what is going on with this conference

realignment. Where will the Aggies head to? I’m a bit torn; it would

be great to keep t.u. in the same conference for tradition, but I just

feel that the SEC is a better conference and fit for Texas A&M. I

guess we’ll know this week!



And Daddy tells me that poor t.u. lost out in baseball to TCU. Augie

was way overrated this year. Go Horned Frogs!



Attached is a picture of me from over the weekend. I’m a little

bloated in this picture, so I’m not actually that big. But still, you

can check out some of the progress I am making :-).



This week I hope to eat again, and to fight off these infections. My

breathing has been pretty good, so once I start eating for several

days, the doctors promised to take out the ventilator. Until then, I

try to whack it out with my arms during batting practice :-).



Thanks for your continued thoughts, phone calls, messages, and prayers.



Love,

Little Slugger Trey

No comments:

Post a Comment