Thursday, June 24, 2010

You can hear me cry

Phew, I am tired! Some changes this week, followed by not many


changes. More on that below….



The highlight of my week was excavation of my ventilator. I am so glad

that I don’t have that down my throat any more! The feeding tube is

still in my mouth, but that isn’t so bad. The nurses put the CPAP on

me on Father’s Day. It was my present to Daddy, since I didn’t have

time to go to the store. The CPAP is held into my nose by a nifty camo

hat and lots of tie downs. It looks like I have orthodontic head gear

on, but hey, I know it is a step in the right direction.



I’ve been very busy eating, and my feeds have gradually increased. In

addition to my IV food, I now get 27ml of formula from my feeding tube

every three hours; once I get to ~40ml, I will be off of IV fluids.

That will be very welcome as the nurses can then take the long term IV

out of my left arm. It really gets in the way during batting practice…

I’m told that after I get to ‘full feeds’, I can then work on breast

milk and bottles.



All this feeding is helping me grow up to be a big boy. I’m now firmly

at 4 ½ lbs. And with the ventilator out, everyone can now hear me when

I cry or sneeze. So far, these sounds are very muffled. That is not a

surprise given the duration that the ventilator was in, and I’m sure

I’ll be ready for Yell Practice soon enough.



But the real change this week is…not many changes. That’s right, I’ve

settled down into a period where I am stable, and I just increase my

feeds and lower my CPAP settings to get me to ‘normal’. Given the

excitement of the last few weeks, ‘not many changes’ is welcome

indeed!



Thanks for your thoughts, prayers, and well wishes.



All for now,

Trey ‘33

No comments:

Post a Comment