Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Ride Continues

Just a quick update…we’ve been very busy


traveling back and forth to the hospital, as well as work/life/etc.

This week has probably been our toughest so far. Our little slugger is

hanging in there and being a tough little guy.



After last week’s unsuccessful attempt to excavate his ventilator,

Trey continued to have breathing problems. The x-rays remained

unchanged, and the radiologist recommended an ultrasound. The

ultrasound revealed that Trey's breathing issue was not fluid inside

the lungs but instead fluid outside the left lung cavity. This fluid

was preventing that lung from being able to fully expand. A small

needle was inserted into the cavity to remove the fluid, and the first

time this was done almost 2 ounces of fluid was removed (mind you, he

is still only ~35 ounces total). This procedure had to be done two

more times. Unfortunately, the fluid kept reaccumulating, and on

Sunday the doctors decided it was necessary to put a in a chest tube

to allow for a continuous fluid drain. The NICU staff is working hard

to keep Trey comfortable while this tube is in place and he is

breathing easier.



The tub is draining an almost amazing amount of fluid (~150 ml

yesterday), so basically much of the fluid he is taking in via

intravenous is leaking out to his lung cavity. The hole in his

lymphatic system is supposed to heal on its own in time, but we may be

looking at other alternatives if it does not show signs of

improvement. The doctors are discussing a drug that they call the

‘magic mystery’ drug. It apparently works in this situation, but they

are not sure why and have little research to know side effects, etc.

We are praying that whatever plan of care is chosen, that Trey gets

better soon.



Trey's view



It has been a rough week but I am hanging in there. My lung area

continues to fill up with fluid, which makes it very uncomfortable and

difficult for me to breathe. How am I supposed to kick and play with

such breathing problems? It is hard to train to be a slugger with such

restricted breathing capacity. It turned out that I did not have

pneumonia, which I guess is good. Still, these tubes in me are getting

old, and is seriously crimping my style. I used to enjoy kicking all

day and whaling my arms around, but now they must be kept still to

keep all of the attachments secure. I hope that ends soon so I can

play again….



Today when mom and dad came to visit they held my hands and I opened

my eyes for a little while. Even though my vision isn't clear yet I

was glad to see them there. I know they visit often because I

recognize their voices. I also learned a new trick: if you put your

pinky finger in the palm of my hand, I like to squeeze it. I did this

for Great-Grammy and Daddy, and they both liked it very much.



This week I may get that fancy drug the doctors speak of to help heal

my in-sides. I hope it works quickly. I’ll also be tracking the

Fightin’ Texas Aggie baseball team as they head to Florida for

regional play this weekend. Gig ‘em Ags!



Please keep me in your prayers as my lungs grow stronger. Until next time…Trey

No comments:

Post a Comment