Tuesday, June 8, 2010

One month old

I am one month old!


By Trey Rapp



I was one month old yesterday. I celebrated the occasion by receiving

lots of visitors, as well as discontinuing the ‘wonder drug’ that I

had been getting to help clear up the fluid in my lung sack. That

fluid was really uncomfortable, so I’m glad that it has gone down. At

one point, I was leaking 78ml in 8 hours, but haven’t had measurable

output since Friday. Now if I can only get this tube out of my chest,

I could move around again! I really miss resting on my tummy; that is

my favorite position. Daddy laughs at that, as that is his favorite

way to sleep as well.



The nurses are now giving me caffeine every morning (my morning cup of

‘Joe). This ‘reminds’ me to breathe on my own, and is in preparation

for the ventilator to be replaced by a nasal CPAP, which will still

give me Oxygen and help me breathe, but will be attached to my nose

instead of down my throat. Removal of the venitilator is a key step in

me becoming a Big Boy, so I’m looking forward to that.



Mommy told me about the party that they had for me on Saturday. I wish

I could have been there to hang out with everyone, but that will have

to wait for my Baptism in the fall. She told me I got some great

gifts, which I appreciate very much. I will be very sharply dressed,

and have lots of gear to keep me safe and happy!



I’ll be rooting for the Fightin’ Texas Aggie baseball team tonight as

they battle Miami for a chance to continue to the Super Regionals.

They won two-in-a-row yesterday to keep going, but it may have been

easier if we pitched better on Saturday. Why did Coach Childress use

his best pitcher Loux on Friday, instead of waiting for the tough game

on Saturday? Didn’t he remember when he did that a few years ago, and

it didn’t work? Oh well, at least they are still winning. And I guess

Loux will be available to pitch again tonight. Too bad I can’t watch

the game live in the NICU; if only I could convince the nurses to

install satellite TV….



This week I plan on keeping my lung fluid down, and trying to breathe

more on my own. I also hope to eat real food later this week; this IV

fluid doesn’t have much taste and while it keeps me going, it doesn’t

let me grow as big and fast as formula or breast milk lets me grow.

I’ll be on a special formula for a while that is specially made for

preemies like me with premature lungs; after that, it is on to breast

milk. I’m hungry already!



Thank you everyone for your visits, thoughts, emails, and prayers.



Love,

Trey '33

No comments:

Post a Comment